What should be paid attention to the psychological characteristics of American tourists? Did you know, among visitors from the Americas in the first quarter of 2020, the group of visitors from the United States accounted for more than 70%?
Expedia Group Media Solutions, the advertising arm of the Expedia Group, conducted a survey to reveal the travel habits, preferences, and influences of American travelers, as well as provide insights into how they plan to travel. plan trips.
The mentality of “value first, money later”
Being pragmatic, Americans still prioritize experiential activities, showing them that a short trip is worth it, more unforgettable than “a bargain, cheap trip”. In addition, the psychology of wanting to experience what is unique, attractive and leaving the strongest impression is also formed by:
- Trip length: Americans make trips 6.7 days on average This is one of the shortest trip times compared to other regions – and they mostly travel domestically (82%) . It can be seen that Americans do not often travel abroad nor spend much time in that country, leading to the mentality of “travel less, experience more”;
- Trip Types: Family visits are the most important type of travel for Americans — especially for Boomers and Gen Z. This is followed by relaxing and sightseeing trips that are mid-generational like Millennials and Gen. X favored;
- Preferred means of transport: Although 60% of visitors arrive at tourist destinations by plane, they still prefer destinations that are within walking distance. From this point, when traveling abroad, Americans also have a comfortable and happy mentality when walking, even looking for walking tours (walking tours in the city), visiting the inner city. street… rather than taking a taxi…
Influenced by advertising and social media
- Advertising: Ads with informative content are most likely to influence older US travelers, while younger generations are more likely to be influenced by ads showing attractive deals. guide;
In need of inspiration: Americans are open-minded travelers. According to the survey, up to 80% of travelers seek help and inspiration in the travel planning process (nearly 80%), while others often hesitate when having to decide between two or more destinations (nearly 80%). close to 60%). Understanding the psychological characteristics of American tourists just mentioned, marketers can come up with strategies to attract customers, shape destinations and resorts accordingly;
- According to a survey from Expedia Group, nearly 90% of US travelers belonging to Gen Z said that their decisions are influenced by social networks, through family and friends. However, Boomers (over 56 years old) say that they are not affected by social networks.
For young travelers belonging to Gen Z, they are characterized by indecision and indecision about where they will travel to. As can be seen, in the “A destination has been identified”, the Boomers generation has the fastest and clearest decision. Understanding the psychological characteristics of American tourists of this generation, tourism workers will have an advantage in advertising and communication plans to actively attract, suggest and change destinations for tourists.
Overall, all generations spend the most on accommodation (hotels) and airline tickets. Next, the items they are willing to pay for are food, attractions, or transportation.
Psychology is influenced by politics
According to Russell Herder, a research and innovation company in Minneapolis, conducted a nationwide survey to learn more about American holiday behaviors. Some notable points are as follows:
- Republicans (77%) are more likely to feel happy and joyful on holiday than Democrats (63%), independents (61%) and the rest (47%);
- To convey the spirit of the holiday, Republican travelers tend to buy more take-out gifts. They are nearly twice as likely to buy gifts for colleagues than Democrats and the rest….
Referenced and compiled from:
– American Multi-Generational Travel Trends | Russell Herder
– Survey Exposes Holiday Attitudes, Habits and Traditions of America’s Political Parties | Russell Herder
Some American Personality Traits
Hard work is considered one of the core American values. Many contract workers in the US have much lower leave periods than most European employers;
Americans are known for being outgoing and outspoken. They are usually very sociable and willing to welcome people into their home;
Americans are generally patriotic. The American flag should never be allowed to touch the ground and even accidentally letting it hang on the ground can have adverse consequences for neighboring countries;
Americans are the second most traveled people in the world, but most of this is done within the United States and only one in five travel abroad. Although many people never move far from their home city, most Americans are ready to move to different parts of the country for work.
According to The American People And Lifestyle | Expatnetwork.com
Discussion about this post